Coaches, Speakers, Entrepreneurs, Consultants, you don’t want to just write any book, you want to write a book that explains your methods, that’s totally congruent with your business and that will attract people you can serve in a deeper way. These people will want to take your information further.
Any book or memoir about what’s happened in your childhood cannot become your main focus, what you really need is a 3, 5 or 7-step system. Preferably you will want to give that system an acronym or something distinctive to really OWN IT. The idea is to make your book the only place where readers can get that information.
Whether it’s 3, 5 or 7 steps, your clients will not be able to get it anywhere else because it’s YOUR system. This means your competition becomes irrelevant.
Here are 5 tips to writing a successful book:
- Don’t give everything away. Give valuable steps, but be sure to save enough content-rich information for when readers pursue you, become clients and sign up for the products or programs that are an extension of your 3, 5 or 7 steps.
- You do want to showcase your personality, with your own personal stories of how you came up with this method because this helps your “know, like and trust factor.” It’s so valuable to resonate with your reader, but do not get too bogged down in your personal story.
- Strike the right tone. You don’t want to come off as lecturing. Although you’re the authority, strive more for “I’ve been there too and this is how I rose above it.” In other words, be “relate-able.”
- Include a call to action in your book. Have an offer or free gift to invite your readers to take it to the next step. Tell them how to get a free gift off your website, or how to have a session with you. It’s important to have a mechanism in place to get their email contact information.
- Before, during and after you write your book, always be cognizant of collecting testimonials. At one of the workshops I do regularly, someone will come up to one of my authors and say, “Oh I read your book, it helped me so much with [fill in the blank]. Thank you.” And the author will say, “You’re welcome.”
They just missed a perfect opportunity. The person is right there with love ready to give them a testimonial. So when you get a compliment, don’t be too shy to ask for the testimonial. 99.9% of people will say yes.
Remember too, that if that person has their own book or business, they are getting name recognition from their testimonial in your book, on your website and other marketing materials.
Follow these guidelines and you’ll be well on your way to making a business out of your book.
As an Amazon Best Selling Author, you will enjoy 5 immensely important benefits:
- Credibility and Exposure—Your book and your name are publicized, making it easier for readers to find you!
- #1 Best Seller Bragging Rights—You’ll be able to add the “#1 Amazon Best Seller” designation to later editions of your book.
- Professional Success and More Money—#1 Best Selling Authors tend to attract better, higher-paying and more seriously invested clients.
- Increased Speaking Gigs—You’ll have more opportunities to speak at lucrative and prestigious events because you gain entry as the author of a #1 Best Seller.
- Better Than A Book Party—An Amazon Best Seller campaign is a much better investment than having a book signing party. While the party is fun, if you were to apply the cost to a campaign, you’d gain speaking engagements and better clients who will invest in your book and the programs and products that come from your book.
We’ve got quite a success story to share with Marina Dufort’s book. Marina Mermaid, as she is known, had a bestseller campaign last week and here are the results for Aromatherapy Secrets for Wellness:
The book made #1 in the Aromatherapy category
#1 in Disorders and Diseases
#1 in Chronic Pain
#1 in Stress
On the day of the campaign, the book hit #3 in overall book sales for Amazon.ca (Amazon Canada) and #9 in overall book sales the following day.
Marina’s book surpassed even Steve Jobs’ biography and The Hunger Games!
Aromatherapy Secrets for Wellness also made the list of Movers and Shakers . . . Even the day following the launch, Marina took the #5 spot in Movers and Shakers and made the list of the biggest gainers in book sales ranked over the past 24 hours.
I had a recent conversation with a publisher who has a gigantic warehouse where he stores the books he prints for his authors. (One author ordered 30,000 books!) We chatted for a while, and even though we have different approaches to self-publishing (I believe print-on-demand books are the easiest, cheapest and smartest way to publish), we both agreed on many points:
- There is no need to print hundreds or thousands of books and then find a place to store them. When you publish your book with print on demand, a bookstore can look it up on their computer, and if they don’t carry it, they will order it for you. If any bookstore finds they are getting more and more orders for a certain book, they will start stocking it because it’s worthwhile having it in their bookstore for their customers.
- Writing the book seems to be the easiest part of the publishing process for many people. I have authors who say to me, “I love writing, but I won’t do any promoting or marketing.” The bottom line is it’s essential to promote your book. No one else can do it as well as you can.
- The absolute smartest way to succeed with your non-fiction book is to get out there and speak. Live speaking, where potential readers get to see you and meet you is the best exposure. You can also be a guest on radio shows, advertise your talks with social networking, and speak any way you can – on You Tube, on tele-seminars or on other people’s stages or online offerings.
- The major publishers, unless you are a huge name, really aren’t doing much to help promote books, and they don’t offer much (sometimes nothing) in the way of a publicity budget. Honestly, you’ll find that no matter what, you still have to promote your own book, but the good news is that’s the best way to sell products and programs based on your book.
- Even someone like Wayne Dyer travels and speaks and does publicity for every book he writes. Of course he’s got a name and his books have outstanding content, but publishers also know that Wayne Dyer is going to promote his books. Any publisher would jump at the chance of publishing Dyer because he’s a good promoter and an excellent speaker.
Smart authors know that print on demand and live speaking are two of the best and most economical ways of getting known, selling books and selling the products and programs that come from your book. It’s an absolute winning formula for success.
Speaking, becoming an author and putting on your own events are three of the most powerful, low-cost ways to draw people to you, to bring people into your programs, and to build your list. Hiding behind your computer won’t do it, having a human experience is priceless.
When speaking people meet you and form a bond with you. Another advantage is that you get immediate feedback from the audience – laughing, clapping, leaning forward in their seats and coming up to talk to you afterward all give you important signals. This means you can gauge the interest of certain products and programs before you spend time and money on them. And there are surprises because something you might say off the cuff gets a huge response and now you’ve got another product on your website making money for you while you sleep. Most test marketers envy these instant results.
The coordinator of a summit I spoke at told me sending e-mails resulted in two signups for his event, while live speaking garnered 30. Although email and building your list can be one of the biggest assets in your business it just doesn’t have the same pull as speaking. Speaking is powerful because most people won’t do it. As an author, people listen to everything you say.
Even if you attended three networking events a week you would be amazed at what a difference it would make in your business.
As an author and speaker, the power increases exponentially. A book gives you celebrity, credibility and expert status, and published authors get booked readily into high-end speaking engagements and events.
Putting on your own events raises your profile the most because it establishes you as an expert in your particular community. This allows you to offer high-priced masterminds or intensive programs that run for months.
Events give you two or three days to really teach your methods and establish relationships with your participants. As people get to know you, they trust you to take them into your unique system in a deeper, fuller way. Your audience also gets to meet others they want to stay in community with. It’s a bonding experience that often influences whether they sign up for your mastermind — because they want to be with their “tribe.”
As you can see, the willingness to get out there and speak opens a lot of doors – you’ll be invited onto other people’s stages, and your recognition factor will go through the roof. The possibilities, personally and professionally, that come from speaking can be life-changing.
Now is the time to think about what we accomplished last year and set new goals.
Many people seem to do the same things day in and day out because that’s what they’ve always done. But if we set reasonable goals and make ourselves accountable, we can really start making quantum leaps in our lives.
If you pick even one to three reasonable goals you believe you can achieve this year, your life will start moving forward. If you don’t set goals, your life will stay the same. Here are some tips:
- It’s important to have the accountability quotient, but it’s also important to make your goal reasonable. If you commit to something that you think is unreasonable, you’re already setting yourself up for failure. If your goal is reasonable and accountable, then your life can’t help but change in positive ways. This applies to that book you’ve been meaning to write. Take a step today that will take you further toward your goal.
- Goals become realities when you have an accountability partner or expert or mentor – someone to keep you on track. If you know that daily you’ll be getting a phone call asking about the steps you took the previous day, you will not disappoint! Book mentors not only keep you on track, they also have all sorts of ideas to shape your work and get it out there in the world so you can make money from your expertise, instead of simply the $2 to $4 revenue from the book itself. You could spend 10 years and a lot of money, time and struggle searching for these answers, or you can find what you need in one place with Expert Author Publishing programs.
- Many people hesitate, asking: "What if I make a mistake?" Even if you pursue the wrong goal, the fact that you’ve achieved this goal shows you can achieve any goal you desire, so go ahead and write your goals down and follow through on them.
- Be specific. Give each goal a definite date for completion. If it’s not written down, it’s not going to get done. Put your list of goals where you can see them every day.
The whole idea of smaller goals and accountability is akin to building a building – it happens one brick at time – there is no other way. Each goal you complete builds your confidence so you can reach for even bigger dreams.
As I tell my students in my workshops, classes, and my Expert Author Mastermind Programs, speaking is the number one way to get out there and make money from your book and the programs and packages you’ve created from your expertise. It’s low cost and highly effective because your audience gets to meet you in person. As you get out there and speak, keep in mind these 3 essential components to optimize your sales and have potential clients pursuing you:
- Offer Forms. Always have Offer Forms ready to hand out to get your audience opted in to your program. Have your Offer Forms handed out closer to the end of your talk when you are ready to go through the Offer Form and explain exactly what you would like them to do. Make sure the Offer Form looks professional and asks for a phone number and email address so you can build your list. You can offer them a free strategy session with you so you can sign them into one of your programs or some other offer you are currently running. If you do offer a free strategy session be sure to follow up with your prospects promptly after event.
- Seeding. Seeding means sprinkling your talk with enticements for your services. These can be stories of successes you’ve had with other clients and customers who have taken your programs. Just by mentioning that a client made $7,000 in three days or conquered their fear of flying in one session, you are seeding the audience for success.
First, you’re describing your program in a way that makes people want to have the same kind of transformation that your clients had. And you are also seeding the steps and benefits of your particular formula or system. Second, you may be able to sell a higher-ticket item by mentioning a success story you had with a one-day/one-on-one mentorship client, so they can hitch a ride on the fast track to success.
- Scarcity. By invoking scarcity, you create a desire in the client to take action. You can generate scarcity by limiting the amount of applicants in your next program. Time limiters create scarcity – your audience has until the end of the workshop to sign up. Price limiters are also effective – this price is good for today only, then it goes back to your regular price.
Remember that you are the expert and the audience expects you to act with authority. It’s up to you to state your offer clearly and to tell your audience how to respond. By taking the speaker and leadership role, you can significantly increase your business and transform more lives.
The way that Expert Author Publishing has come to be a thriving company is nothing short of amazing. There were so many downloads and synchronicities that occurred to make this happen. I woke up at 2:00 in the morning with the title 101 Reasons Why You Must Write a Book: How to Make a Six Figure Income by Writing and Publishing Your Own Book in my brain. (I get my downloads from 2:00 to 4:00 in the morning.)
Once I started writing that book, I was on the road to a whole new career. Then I got a $997.00 CD set from Paul Hartunian about speaking and selling from the platform and one of the things that was really helpful was that he recommended Mike Round’s “Talk, Talk, Talk: Your Guide to Making Money Through the Rubber Band Circuit, The Rubber Chicken Circuit and Radio Talk Shows” a DVD set for $50 about getting yourself set up in business by teaching adult education classes. Teaching adult ed classes, of course, has been a backbone of my business, not to mention how many opportunities and books I have helped birth because I’m willing to speak in front of audiences and teach workshops and classes.
Back when I was thinking of the book Change One Belief I had the idea for a book written by one of my mentors, and sure enough, 8 months later she calls me about having me publish her book.
When you put your thoughts out there with a goal in mind, the synchronicities that happen are amazing. The important part, of course is that you take action on your guidance.
I couldn’t have planned the things that are happening to me now better than they’re actually happening. When you look back on your life, you become aware of all these different synchronicities that all happen in order (and sometimes they might not be exactly as you planned). But if you’re patient and you have faith, you’ll see it was a blessing how it happened—it all happened perfectly.
The title for the anthology I’m doing called Change One Belief was downloaded to me in the same way. I admit sometimes I don’t even write these cosmic messages down, but if it’s still there in the morning, that tells me it has to be done. I admit it–I ignored Change One Belief, but it kept coming back to me 5 times! After the 5th time, I knew this was a book that had to be published.
I couldn’t have written a better script than what the universe has written for me, but you must be aware of when you get downloads or your intuition is speaking to you — and this is so crucial that I’m repeating it – honor it by taking action, and you’ll witness miracles in your life.
We’re looking at a publication date of January 2012 for the Change One Belief anthology. There’s still time to get your story published in the book or if you know someone with a great story, go to www.changeonebelief.com for guidelines and submission instructions. This could be your piece of synchronicity right now, so go ahead and take action!
There has been a lot of excitement at Expert Author Publishing lately. I held a successful All-day Workshop on March 6, which I am excited to tell you all about in this blog post. I also received terrific news from one of our authors, which I will also fill you in on.
The photo above was taken at my March 6 “Write and Publish Your Own Book in 40 Days” All-day Workshop. A great group of soon-to-be published authors attended and they were excited and ready to learn the tools they need to get their books published and into the hands of readers. A huge draw of this particular workshop was our special guest speaker, Nina Telpoukhovskaia.
You might recall from an earlier blog post that Nina is one of our Amazon Best-selling Authors. She is a true inspiration and role model for our aspiring authors, and it was a pleasure to have her speak to us about her accomplishments. Nina started her talk by explaining how she went about setting up an Amazon Best Seller Campaign. This information was very valuable for the workshop attendees, coming from a woman whose book hit #1 in the “Sales and Selling” category on Amazon’s Canada site!
Nina has also experienced success beyond selling copies of her book. One thing I always stress at my workshops is that becoming a published author can open doors in your life and career that you never imagined. Nina is a perfect example of this! She spoke to the workshop attendees about using her published (and best-selling) author status to receive spectacular job offers. Since publishing her book, Nina has positioned herself as a true expert in her field. Thanks to being set apart from others who do the same work she does, she was offered a very coveted marketing job with the 2010 Winter Olympics! Talk about prestige building upon prestige. What makes her story even more amazing is that Nina came from Russia only a few years ago. She couldn’t even speak English. To go from that point to having a best-selling book in Canada is truly amazing and inspirational.
Before I wrap up my discussion of how the workshop went, I did want to tell you another success story from one of our authors. Marco Longley, the author of The Ultimate Hot Tub and Pool $ales Book: Discover How To Double Your Sales in 7 Days, has achieved quite a bit of recognition after he became a published author. His book has already shipped to over ten different countries! What’s more, he just let us know that he has booked an event as a keynote speaker that will pay $4,000. With other speaking enquiries already in from Dubai and the United Kingdom, Marco is well on his way to achieving a tremendous future with his book and his status as a published author.
Our authors are certainly inspiring, and it was terrific to hear from them about their progress at the workshop on March 6. Keep an eye out for two books that we will be publishing soon: a book on Spiritual Chemistry and another about how to make an extra $150 in tips per night than the average waitress. We are ecstatic that so many of our authors are choosing to take that next step to get their books published, and we wish them all the best!
This past month, I had the terrific opportunity of visiting a former student of mine at Coles Bookstore for her book signing. Alice Maryniuk published her long-awaited book Thinking For a Change: Transforming your life by transforming your thoughts early in 2010 and has already started a successful marketing campaign for it.
Alice is among a growing number of my students who have gone on to publish their books through my publishing branch, Profits Publishing. She had us format her manuscript while she outsourced her cover design. The end result was a beautiful book that is now in the hands of readers and is now working for her.
Alice was incredibly gracious to grant us a video interview during her book signing. Watch it and discover what she has learned about improving her own life by becoming a published author!
Publishing her own book has already done wonderful things for Alice—after only a month! As she explains in the video, our guidance and encouragement at Expert Author Publishing as both teachers and publishers helped her to believe that she really could finish her book and reap the rewards of doing so. Her business has improved along with her sense of accomplishment. Great things are happening for Alice, and we couldn’t be happier for her!
Now it’s time for you to finally experience all of the miraculous changes that becoming a published author can bring about in your own life! Imagine yourself in the video, signing your book at a local bookstore. We can’t wait for you to fill Alice’s shoes and become the next published author from our Profits Publishing branch! If Alice’s interview wasn’t motivation enough, I know that our workbook, “How to Write, Publish & Make Money With Your Book,” will point you in the right direction. Get the workbook now at http://www.expertauthorpublishing.com/write_publish_make_money.html and start changing your life for the better!
We all appreciate having role models in our lives. It is inspiring to see someone else achieve a goal that we have been aspiring to or have been struggling with.
Do you aspire to become a published author? Do you want to start enjoying the prestige and credibility that writing your own book will give you? Would you appreciate the prestige and boom in business that being a Best Selling Author will provide?
Meet your newest two role models in the Expert Author Publishing family! Both Nina Telpoukhovskaia and Karen Joy Hall have recently achieved the illustrious rank of Amazon Best Selling Author! These are both former students of mine who took what they learned in my class and made it work for them. Below are screenshots of their rise to the top!
The first Amazon screen shot is Nina Telpoukhovskaia
Amazon.ca Dec 1, 2009 # 1
Bestsellers in Sales & Selling
Any Category > Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Sales & Selling (Updated hourly)
The second Amazon screen shot is Karen Joy Hall
Amazon.ca Sept 29, 2009 # 1
Bestsellers in Books
Any Category > Books > Law > Business > Labor & Employment
The most popular items in Labor & Employment. Updated hourly.
Imagine what being an Amazon Best Selling Author can do for you … I personally have found it to be a useful distinction with my own business. When you reach the end of this post, you will see that my signature line includes information about my own #1 Best Selling Book. Nina and Karen can both claim the same thing now! That little line of text provides your customers with trust in you and your business. If plenty others have considered your book (and ultimately your knowledge) to be worth purchasing, then you must have something good to say!
If you don’t write and publish your book, you will never have that extra marketing tool of claiming that you are a #1 Amazon Best Selling Author. Now that you are aware of the prestige it can bring to you and your business, why not go ahead and write that book? Nina and Karen are finally experiencing the life-changing benefits that writing a book can bring about. Find out for yourself!
Nina led a very successful Amazon Best Seller campaign. Find out how she did it! I am having Nina speak at my next All-day Workshop on March 6, 2010. Anyone that would like to join us is absolutely welcome and I would love to see you there. There are only 22 spots left as of this blog post so don’t wait – Get Your Seat Now! http://www.expertauthorpublishing.com/classes-seminars/
Author of the #1 Amazon Best Seller:
101 Reasons Why You Must Write A Book: How To Make A Six Figure Income By Writing & Publishing Your Own Book